Do you know the healthiest breed of cat? If not, you may be surprised to learn that it’s the American Curl. This unique breed is known for its long, curly hair and friendly personality, but did you know that they also have a reputation for being some of the healthiest cats around? Here are four reasons why American Curls are considered a healthy breed.
1. American Curl Cats are Not Prone to Diseases
Because of selective breeding that started in the 1980s, it is more than likely that your American Curl will be one healthy cat with a lifespan between 12-15 years with very few serious health concerns evident throughout its life.
While this isn’t true for every single kitty, there are usually very few “major” health issues that most breeders will want to disclose before you take your furbaby home. If you’re looking for a healthy cat with lots of love to give, this may be the perfect choice for you!
2. American Curl Cats Have Fewer Serious Health Issues
When you take a look at a cat who’s a certified American Curl, you can rest easy knowing that they have been tested for and cleared of the following:
- HCM – Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy – is one of the most common heart diseases among cats. This disease thickens the heart muscle and makes it difficult for the heart to pump blood.
- PkDef – A fatal, inherited disease that causes severe anemia and internal bleeding.
- PKD – Polycystic Kidney Disease – may cause your kitty’s kidneys to fail as they get older. In order to avoid this, you will need to have your cat tested for PKD by a veterinarian.
- FIP – This is a fatal disease caused by a coronavirus, which causes fluid buildup around the intestinal tract and other organs.
3. American Curl Cats Do Not Require Lots of Grooming
While all cats do require a certain level of grooming, the American Curl has a coat that is not prone to matting and will be healthier if it’s groomed on a regular basis.
Many owners choose to keep their long-haired cat in a full body clip a few times throughout the year but you can continue to keep them at a length that fits your lifestyle.
4. American Curl Cats are Not Prone to Kneecap Problems
The breed is not likely to experience frequent issues with their knees or kneecaps, which can be a common problem in some cats due to the types of surfaces they walk on regularly and hereditary issues. This is another reason why you should choose an American Curl if you’re looking for a healthy feline friend.
However, it is important to note that the American Curl and any other breed of cat can experience health problems so always keep this in mind when you decide to take one home with you.
Final Thoughts – American Curl Cat Health Problems
The American Curl is one of the most attractive, healthy breeds on the market today. This breed does not require extensive grooming and doesn’t have many serious health concerns that are prevalent among other cat breeds.
If you want a loving feline friend that will be around for years to come, consider adopting or purchasing an American Curl. You are sure to fall in love with their unique personalities and purrfectly adorable looks.